Everyday Puppy Program
Canine to Five is pleased to present our PUPPY PROGRAM, designed to help your puppy grow into a socialized, balanced and fun loving companion!
In collaboration with our Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Katelin Thomas, ACDBC, CPDT-KA, we have developed a program that goes far beyond daycare for our youngest students and snuggliest members!
Previously, our Puppy Program focused on socializing your dog with other dogs; which is a crucial step in their development that we deliver daily. Now, in addition to this essential service, each day we’ll offer a structured curriculum that focuses on socialization to dogs, people, different surfaces, smells and experiences, structured toy time, outside time to support your potty training efforts (weather permitting), training item of the day, and scent of the day for added enrichment!
Our full Puppy Program includes the following:
- Puppy Curriculum: A weekly curriculum that focuses on socialization to sights, sounds and experiences that your puppy will need to navigate as an adult, including people in wheelchairs, using walkers, wearing big coats, hats, veterinary equipment such as stethoscopes, people in lab coats, and more! Early socialization and desensitization leads to decreased fears and anxieties down the road.
- Dog Socialization: Supervised and structured play sessions with dogs of varying sizes, ages, and play styles focuses on teaching puppies how to play appropriately with other dogs, how to manage conflict without using aggression, and when to take breaks in play!
- Resource Guarding Prevention: Your pup will learn to share resources like toys, food, and attention with other dogs and humans. Puppyhood is a critical stage to develop this tolerance and helps prevent resource guarding later in life.
- Crate Training: Puppies require an average of 15-20 hours a day of sleep and need to take breaks in order to prevent them from becoming over aroused and overstimulated (hellloooo toddlers with no naps!). For this reason, we give puppies naps in airline crates every two hours, which creates a den for your puppy to make his/her own and assists you with your crate training at home! Fitted with with comfy blankets, beds, calming spray and a treat, your puppy will love this time to rest in between play sessions!
- Extra Pictures: Every day, we will have a staff member take additional pictures to show you what your dog is learning while they’re here at Canine to Five.
We launched this program because we are committed to setting your puppy up for a happy lifetime of play, daycare, and healthy socialization. Whether you choose to bring your dog to daycare once a week or every day of the week, we will do all we can to assist you in teaching your lifelong pal.
This program is for puppies ages 12 weeks to 8 months old. To enroll, your puppy must have:
- First two sets of puppy shots
- Bordetella vaccination
Our puppy program curriculum runs Monday – Friday and will start at 8:00 a.m. Although our curriculum doesn’t start until mid-morning, you can drop off your puppy as soon as we open at 6:30 a.m, and our latest pick up time is 7:30 p.m. in Ferndale and 8:00 p.m. in Detroit
We recommend that you bring your puppy lunch. Please send a single serving lunch in a clearly labeled bag or container. Additionally, your puppy will have access to fresh, cold water during each structured playtime. To aide in training, your puppy may also be given treats throughout the day, which we will provide. Be be sure to let us know if your puppy has any food allergies or sensitivities.
Cost Per Week (Monday – Friday):
Puppies 12 weeks to 6 months – $100
Puppies 6 to 8 months – $115
This program is for puppies 12 weeks old to 8 months. To enroll, your puppy must have received their first three sets of shots as well as their Bordetella vaccination. Be sure to tell your vet at your first checkup that your dog will be spending a lot of time around other dogs.
Example: Fido was born on December 15, 2011. Through June 15, 2012 Fido’s puppy program will cost $100/week. From June 15-August 15, Fido’s puppy program will cost $110/week.
Obviously, your best deal is to bring your puppy every day Monday through Friday. Not only is this financially advantageous, but it is great socialization for your puppy.